Our support and information
If you have a specific query about school councils and school improvement, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can phone the:
- VICCSO office on 0402 152 634 or e-mail us at
- VICCSO President, Nicholas Abbey, on 0402 152 634 or e-mail him at .
As well, see our School Council Q & As together with our list of ten good practices for school councils at How to Improve Governance.
Department of Education and Early Childhood Development
Contact the in the Department for advice on legislation and policy matters relating to school council governance and responsibilities. The School Councils section on the Department’s website supports school councillors with information about:
- School council roles and responsibilities
- Strategic planning and policy
The following documents from the Department discuss school council roles and processes:
- Introduction to School Councils: a guide for prospective members
- Introduction to School Councils: an induction program
- Making the Partnership Work
Improving School Governance, the Department's new training package for school councils, includes:
- Policy Development and Review
- Strategic Planning.
The Department also has other governance and management information and resources. As well, it has detailed formal information relating to:
- The legal framework for operation of school councils
- Guidelines for membership of school councils
- Guidelines for formation and composition of councils in non-regular schools
- Conducting a school council election
- School council proceedings
- Summary of powers and duties of a school council
- Parent clubs and welfare clubs.
State Services Authority
The State Services Authority (SSA) is responsible for providing advice on, and promoting, good governance for public entities (which include school councils). See the SSA Good Practice Guide on Governance for Victorian Public Sector Entities.