The history of the Victorian Council of School Organisations Inc extends back to over 80 years. This rich history includes:
- 1914 - around 2,000 school committees
- 1923 - formation of the Melbourne and Metropolitan State School Committees Association
- 1928 - formation of the State School Committees Organisation of Victoria
- 1958 - development of the State Schools Committees and Councils Association of Victoria (SSCCAV)
- 1964 - the SSCCAV and the Victorian Secondary Schools Advisory Councils Association merge to form VICCSO
- 1970s/1980s - school council legislation (VICCSO worked on this and worked closely with the Education Department)
- 1990s - continues to build relationships with Parents Victoria, the Australian Education Union and the principals' organisations
- The present - VICCSO reviews its work, develops a renewal process and works toward a more comprehensive approach to the challenge of achieving real educational change.
It is hoped that this fascinating history of VICCSO is eventually documented via a major research project. As well, see the terrific History of School Councils paper (written by Wendy Morris).